Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Free Rice Update

I thought I would give you all a quick update on my Free Rice endeavours to date.

If you recall, Free Rice is a website that donates rice to the World Food Programme for each English Vocabulary you get correct. It works through sponsorship, combined with people like you and me playing the game. A surprisingly large amount of rice is able to be donated every day, which makes a significant difference in the lives of those who are near starvation due to famine, disease, war, or disaster in their area.

So, I have made Free Rice my homepage, and have been keeping count of my Free Rice totals since the 26th of January. This because Boyo was counting all of his, and beating me! :op Some days I don't do any. On others, I might get 5 or 10 words right before I need to get into my study. Then sometimes I just get so involved that I end up with hundreds of grains of rice!

I started off really well over the holidays, then over the past month had hardly done any! So now I'm trying to get back into the routine of answering a few each day. I find once I get started that I get so much enjoyment out of seeing what bizzare words come up, that I quickly do a few hundred before moving onto my studies.

January - 5,200 February - 4,130 March - 1,160 April (so far) - 2,280

I thought by posting it here on my blog, I would be encouraged to keep going! Have you had a go? It's loads of fun if you enjoy language.

Amy

No comments: