Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Frog Soup

Here's a treat for you!  Frog soup.

Not real frogs.  I promise.  But it is green, which is where I believe it came by its name.

I originally came across this recipe in an online forum, but I've amended it to suit the way I cook (it originally had instant potato in it, which I never use!).  Today I was using up broccoli.  Okay, so it was actually Tuesday when I made this, but Waste Not Tuesday doesn't have the same ring!  And I did eat some for lunch today!

Firstly, let me assure you that your instant thoughts of 'oh, yuck' are probably wrong.  You might really like it, and other than the colour might never know it uses a huge quantity of broccoli!


Start with your choice of onion, garlic, spring onion, leek (I usually use onion and garlic), lightly saute in a little oil.
Add 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed and 2-3 cups of stock (I use chicken stock) along with a bit of salt and pepper. 
Simmer for 5-10minutes.
Add a whole head of broccoli, chopped up small.  Include the stem and leaves and simmer until the potato is soft when you stab it with a knife. (I was using up the side shoots from our broccoli, so had a huge bag of them, plus one stray spinach leaf that somehow got in there too!).  Add some extra boiling water to just cover the veges if needed here or when cooking the potatoes.

Now take the soup off the heat.  Add a few tablespoons of your choice of cream cheese, natural yoghurt, or cream.  Do it slowly, and stir constantly so that it doesn't curdle too much.  Blend it.  Serve it.  Enjoy it.  If you like to make it look pretty, you could leave adding the cream/yoghurt till you serve it, and do a nice little white twirl in that sea of green.  I used some cream cheese that had been stashed in the freezer.  It's a great way to use a small amount up if you've got a tablespoon or two left over from another meal.

So there you go.  Frog soup.  You can also make Blonde Frog Soup.  My original creation, this one.  Subsitute cauliflower for broccoli.  I actually prefer the texture and flavour of the Blonde version!

Anyone have other broccoli recipes?  I've still got a fair bit to use up!

Amy

2 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Looks great Amy - I think we have met it before :-). Try lemon juice over cooked broccoli, also i have a recipe that uses fried breadcrumbs, lemon juice and grated hard boiled egg over the cooked broccoli. Interested?
Blessings
M

Elizabeth said...

Stir-fry ;-)!